There’s a quote that I have saved in my Evernote. I saw it a few years ago and thought it was profound in its simplicity. So, I saved it on an Evernote note full of motivational quotes that I flip through every once in a while.
The quote: “Success isn’t always about greatness. It’s about consistency.” The Rock was the one who said it.
It’s profound because it’s an explanation to another famous quote, this one by Bill Gates. Gates said “People overestimate what can be done in one year and underestimate what can be done in 10.”
I’m really feeling these quotes.
If I look at the past year, it’s been almost the same thing every single day. I wake up. I do as much consulting work as possible. I pump that money into real estate investments. Then, I go to sleep and repeat.
Day after day after day.
There isn’t a lot of variety. Some days are more exciting than others, for sure. But there isn’t a large amount of uniqueness.
If I keep doing this every day until I reach 30, then things will change:
- We’ll have 500+ apartment units
- I’ll have a business that does a few million a year in revenue
- This website will recieve hundreds of thousands of hits
It feels boring though. It feels like things may never change. It is tiring and draining in a lot of ways by doing the same thing.
I think this is why a lot of people quit things. They start a blog, expecting a ton of traffic tomorrow. In practice, it takes 18+ months of writing to get a blog to the point it has consistent traffic.
I publish once a day, every day.
It’s the same every day.
But it works.
Listen to Bill Gates. Listen to the Rock. And be consistent.
Yesterday there were 1,594 days until I turn 30 and need to make $10K a day passively. Here’s how I spent it in pursuit of that goal
The current phase of the plan
I’m in Phase #3: The Business Phase. You can read more about the phases and my plan to get to $10K/a day at 30 here.
I still consult, and I still have a job. I’m looking forward to removing both of those ASAP.
Wake up & sleep:
I woke up at 7:41 after going to bed at 11:01, for a total recovery of 79%.
My fiancee and I walked together for a few miles. Whoop had strain data high at 12.9.
This is interesting because I don’t think we did anything particularly high effort or difficultly. But hey, I’ll take it.
I was at a 4/5, with 1 being the highest. Things are relatively well right now. Not a lot of stress.
Yesterday I talked about how I was going to try to eat more animal-based.
I ended up doing pretty shitty at that.
I had coffee (with cream) for breakfast, noodles with duck for lunch, and ice cream for dinner.
Today is going to be a “retry” day.
My Day Job
Thursday. I slacked with a few members of the team, but that was it.
Investment real estate
Gotta get those extra units!
My Actual Business
Slow but almost done here.
The client was a bit unhappy with part of the deliverable (a one-pager I had done a shitty job designing) so I redesigned it and now it’s a lot better
I spent ~30min finishing it up here and then kicked it over to the client
Market Research & Customer Interviews
A couple of calls here too
Sourcing new work
Nothing really here
Long walks with my fiancee
Rescue Time Daily Screenshot
What I made today
Current Income Streams
- Job: $170
- Rental Income (13 rental units): $43
- Framework: $250
- Customer Interviews: $430
Planned income streams
- 15 websites
- My Startup
- Local Serviced Based Business (cleaning business)
- WordPress Maintenance Site
- Content sites
- Dividend Income (municipal bonds)
Today’s pro-rated amount of monthly & yearly expenses
Life Expenses: $89.73
- Rent, utilities, Internet: $63.33
- Phone Bill: $1.57
- Heath Insurance: $8.90
- Ladder Life Insurance: $0.83
- TrueBill for Budget tracking: $0.10
- Car: $15
My Startup’s Expenses: $0.16
- Bluehost Domain name: $0.16
Health Expenses: $12.00
- Peloton: $3.20
- Gainful Protein Powder: $1.80
- Care/of Vitamin pack: $3.00
- Whoop fitness tracker: $1.00
Productivity Expenses: $2.25
- SuperHuman to save time on email: $1.00
- Rescue Time to keep me honest on my productivity: $0.20
- Fantastical as my main calendar: $0.20
- Evernote to track everything: $0.27
- Grammarly to keep my emails looking okay: $0.38
- BackBlaze to keep my files backed up: $0.20
Consulting Business Expenses: $302
- Gusto to pay myself: $1.50
- Quickbooks to track expenses: $0.40
- Google Business Email Account: $0.40
- Fiverr for virtual support: $0
$10K a day: $12.42
- Kinsta for hosting: $1.00
- Bluehost for domain names: $0.03
- WP Rocket for speed: $0.14
- Link Whisper for SEO: $0.14
- Elementor for site design: $0.14
- Astra for theme: $0.14
- Rhino Rank for SEO: $10.83
Real Estate Investing: $0.52
- Legal Zoom Registered Agent (all LLC’s): $0.52
Today’s Income (pre-tax)
Topline of $893, spent $119, which means….
Made $774 (pre-tax).
My plan for tomorrow
Tomorrow is Friday, and I need to do:
- Do ~10 more calls for the project
1,593 days until I turn $30. I’m making $10K a day passively by then